The dossier that was compiled by the American film-maker James Steele about allegations of rape by Hollywood movie producer Harvey Weinstein, and which was published by The Times of India on Saturday, is not an original research report and is not the work of the US intelligence community, the Indian government has said.
The dossier, which was prepared by the US defence intelligence agency, was shared by the defence secretary, Ashok Gajapathi Raju, and US ambassador to India, Sanjay Sinha, and it is being forwarded to the US.
The US is the country where Mr Steele is based.
The Indian government said it was concerned by the dossier and wanted it to be released to the public.
“This dossier was prepared for the defence department in order to give an accurate account of the facts and circumstances surrounding the allegation of sexual assault by Harvey Weinstein and his alleged associates,” said a statement from the Indian foreign ministry.
“It is not a true report, and is based on information provided by the sources.
It is a biased, politicised, selective, biased and false report that has been presented by a biased foreign intelligence agency,” the statement said.
US officials said they were looking into the dossier.
The Times story, which said the US and India had a secret “secret agreement” on the matter, quoted unnamed US officials as saying that they were not aware of the dossier being shared with the Indian defence ministry.
Indian officials said there was no secret agreement on the issue and there were no US or Indian intelligence agencies working on the dossier at the time.
“We are not sharing anything of that nature,” Mr Gajapsathi Raji told the Indian parliament.
Mr Gabbasath Raju denied that the dossier had been shared with India, and added that the US embassy was in contact with the US consulate in New Delhi.
“If the contents of the contents are published, it is a matter of grave concern for us and the Indian people,” he said.
“I don’t think there is any intention of sharing this dossier with the foreign ministry.”
He said he was unaware of any such agreement, and the US did not share any such information with India.
The leaked dossier alleges that Weinstein, a former film producer, had allegedly made unwanted advances towards a female producer in New York.
According to the Times article, Mr Weinstein has said he has “no recollection” of the alleged incident.
He has apologised for his behaviour and has offered to pay a $20,000 settlement to a woman who was sexually harassed by him.